Alvin Kamara, who is considered by some to be the state’s No. 1 prospect at running back, has listed Alabama and UGA as his leaders.
Or are they his finalists? “They’re my top two schools right now,” Kamara told the AJC. “I still think other schools have a chance. But Georgia and Alabama, that’s who I am feeling right now.”
Note: You can watch Alvin Kamara at 7:30 p.m. Thursday when his Norcross team plays Parkview on this live online webcast.
The 5-foot-10, 195-pounder from Norcross High School also has Oklahoma State, Florida State, Tennessee and Oregon in his top six, and will take an official visit to Oregon. The others are to be determined.
Why does Kamara like Alabama? “They produce high-quality players – all those guys that went in the NFL Draft last year, and you saw the game against Michigan. They put a high-quality product on the field, and that’s what I like about Alabama.”
What about UGA? “There’s opportunity at Georgia. And it’s the same way as Alabama, they put a good product on the field. They’re good people in Athens. Coach [Mark Richt] is a good guy. I get along with the coaches, and they produce.”
Kamara has toyed around with the idea of committing within the next month, but will likely wait longer in order to take a few official visits. “I’m going to sign with a place where I feel comfortable with and where I get along with the coaching staff. It will be a place I have a special feeling about. If I feel like I need to be at Florida State, I will go there. If I feel like I need to be in Athens, I’ll go to Athens. If it’s Tuscaloose, then I’m there.”
Some have wondered how Derrick Henry’s impending decision will impact Kamara. The 5-star from Yulee, Fla., will pick between Alabama, Tennessee and UGA on Sept. 27.
“Me and Derrick are real close,” Kamara said. “Whatever he does, I’ll make my own decision. If we happen to end up at the same school, it would be better for us because I know he’s a competitor and I don’t back down from a challenge. If we do end up at the same place, I think that will make us both better players and make us closer.”
UGA has no commits at RB for its 2013 recruiting class, while Alabama has a pledge from this state’s other top prospect at the position, Walton’s Tyren Jones.
What stands out about Alvin Kamara? “What makes him special is that he can run between the tackles, he can run outside on the toss and zone stuff, and he’s got an extra gear once gets into the secondary,” Norcross coach Keith Maloof said. “He’s big, strong and physical and he can catch the ball out of the backfield. He’s got everything.
“You can put him out at wide receiver, and he’s just as fast as any receiver there is. You can get mismatches with linebackers and things like that if people are going to put a linebacker on him when he’s outside of the box. He’s a special talent.”
Kamara is ranked as a consensus 4-star and the nation’s No. 3 all-purpose running back by Rivals.
OTHER PROSPECTS FROM PARKVIEW AND NORCROSS
- Alvin Kamara, RB, Sr., 5-11, 195, Norcross HS. Offers from Alabama, UGA, Oregon, Oklahoma State, Oregon, FSU and Tennessee.
- Shon Akins, CB, Sr., 5-9, 175, Norcross HS. Committed to Cal.
- *Myles Autry, RB, Jr., 5-10, 180, Norcross HS. Offers from Georgia Tech, UGA, Tennessee, Florida State, Syracuse, Penn State, Miami, and Vanderbilt.
- *Lorenzo Carter, DE, Jr., 6-5, 220, Norcross HS. Offers from Miami, Tennessee, Georgia Tech, Penn State, Syracuse, Arkansas, Vanderbilt
- Jahmal Jones, DE, Sr., 6-3, 220, Norcross HS. Offers from Colorado State, Southern Miss and Marshall
- Chris Carson, RB, Sr., 6-1, 195, Parkview HS. Offers from Miami, Indiana, South Florida, etc.
- Kyle Williams, LB, Sr., 6-1, 225, Parkview HS. Offers from Indiana, Troy, Colorado State, Air Force, etc.
- Shaq Vereen, S, Sr., 6-2, 185, Parkview HS. Offers from Air Force, Northern Colorado, VMI, Presbyterian and Tennessee State.
- Keanu Mole, WR, Sr., 6-0, 170, Parkview HS. Offers from Georgia State and Tennessee State.
- *Bryce Lewis, DB,. Jr., 6-1, 175, Parkview HS. Offer from Vanderbilt.
- Hunter Thornton, DE/P, Sr., 6-0, 215, Parkview HS. Committed on a baseball scholarship to Mercer as catcher.
- Rob Youngblood, QB/S, Sr., 5-11, 180, Parkview HS. Baseball offer from USC Aiken (as an infielder).
- *Mac Marshall, WR, Jr., 6-0, 180, Parkview HS. Committed to UGA on a baseball scholarship (as left-handed pitcher)
THE LATEST NEWS
- UGA or Alabama for 4-star RB?
- Is offensive lineman on brink of DE-COMMITTING … from UGA?
- Son of DEION SANDERS’ fan to play D1 football
- The feel-good story of one of UGA’s top football recruits
- Ex-football star steals 101 bases in a season for Houston Astros
- UGA, Alabama or Tennessee for 5-star RB Derrick Henry?
- Tony Parker’s coach reacts to report of NCAA investigation
- Brice Ramsey — UGA’s “QB of the Future” … and guess which 5-star he’s recruiting for Bulldogs?
- Alabama is frontunner for 4-star TE, who also likes UGA
- The secret is out: Top Alabama recruit REVEALS why he visited UGA
FOOTBALL SEASON IS HERE
- Remember DB Will Redmond? NCAA looking at Mississippi State recruit and car
- Robert Nkemdiche may visit Oregon and USC but hasn’t set anything up yet
- Did you hear about this? Overzealous “UGA fan” calls recruit to get status of his commitment to Bulldogs
- UGA officially adds 2 more recruits to 2013 class — now nation’s largest with 28 members
- It’s UGA or South Carolina for nation’s No. 5-ranked DT
- 5-star football recruit confirms official visit to UGA
- DID YOU SEE what Reuben Foster did out of loyalty to Auburn??
- Robert Nkemdiche to Clemson … Did that really happen?
- Nick Saban on his Georgia recruiting success: “Well, I still have a home in Georgia”
– By Michael Carvell, AJC Recruiting Blog
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.
Please Follow me on Twitter @RecruitingAJC + Please be my Facebook friend here