One of Georgia’s top college football prospects switched his commitment from Alabama to LSU on Friday.
Andy Dodd, a 6-foot-4, 325-pounder from Pepperell High School, flipped to LSU one day after making a surprise official visit to LSU on Friday.
“I had just been praying about it,” Dodd told the AJC. “I just felt like it was the right thing to do. It [LSU] was the place that I fit in the most.”
Dodd, who is ranked as a 4-star and the nation’s No. 139 overall prospect by ESPN, said he knew a week or two after he committed to Alabama in March that he had made a mistake.
“I’ve been thinking about [flipping] ever since I committed,” Dodd said. “I knew I made the wrong decision. Here lately, I had been telling people about it. I came down on a visit, and they showed me lots of love at LSU. I knew that’s where I wanted to go.”
What happened with Alabama? “I just didn’t feel like I should be spending my college years there. A week or two after committing, I knew I had made the mistake. I didn’t want to come out and say anything yet.”
Dodd said he delivered the news to Alabama assistant Lance Thompson. “It wasn’t hard to tell him. Alabama had already heard about it [in advance]. They knew it was coming. [Thompson] was understanding. There didn’t seem to be hard feelings, but you never know. They wished me well.”
It was the second week in a row that Alabama has suffered a big blow in recruiting. Last week, 5-star LB Reuben Foster flipped to Auburn after being committed to Alabama for around a year.
OTHER NEWS: Clemson picked up yet another commitment from the state of Georgia on Friday. Peach County WR Demarcus Robinson committed to Clemson, according to multiple media reports. He is ranked as the nation’s No. 156 player by ESPN.
- “There’s nothing on God’s green earth that will change my mind about …”
- Commit! UGA beats out Alabama for Brookwood LB
- Florida QB to play at Georgia State
- QB commits to Tech
- DID YOU SEE what Reuben Foster did out of loyalty to Auburn??
- UGA picks up 2 commitments at “Dawg Night”
LATEST RECRUITING NEWS
- Top UGA recruit will take all five official visits, including Tennessee, USC and Nebraska
- Robert Nkemdiche: Just trying to help a teammate
- Ex-UGA 5-star commit names … Alabama as his new leader
- ANOTHER ONE of Nkemdiche’s teammates is headed to CLEMSON
BEST OF THE REST
- Robert Nkemdiche to Clemson … Did that really happen?
- HEARTBREAKER: UGA’s top recruit de-commits from the Bulldogs
- Top Alabama recruit shoots down … the UGA rumors
- Hmmm … Florida and UGA agree to NOT host recruits for annual showdown
- Mark Richt has a little secret
- Nick Saban on his Georgia recruiting success: “Well, I still have a home in Georgia”
– By Michael Carvell, AJC Recruiting Blog
- So much is happening so fast. Have you missed anything over the last few days? Catch up with our feed by CLICKING HERE
- BOOKMARK the NEW AJC Recruiting homepage here
Note: Inappropriate BLOG comments and personal attacks will NOT be tolerated. We love the lively discussions but hate-filled, harassing and irresponsible comments are unacceptable.
Please Follow me on Twitter @RecruitingAJC + Please be my Facebook friend here